"When you go to hide a cache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot.
If the only reason is for the cache, then find a better spot."
.... Briansnat

Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Ten Years of Reviewing

I've reached and passed my ten year anniversary of reviewing. It seems so long ago when I published my first cache. That cache had 199 finds before it was archived four years later.

My first published cache which is still active has 737 finds as of this post. Our player account never found the first cache I published, but we found the oldest still active publication about a month after publication.

Geocaching.com rightly requires Volunteer Reviewers to not share statistics so I won't do that. I will say I have published many more than our player account has found. I have published caches in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York (oops), and Denmark.

I've most enjoyed the wonderful people whose caches I have been able to review. I've been happy for the opportunities to participate in reviewer panels at Megas. I've least enjoyed a stalker who has made it clear through my player account that he knows who I am and where to find me. I don't participate in social media and have tried to stay away from one sided posts detailing all the perceived wrongs I've done to hiders.

Groundspeak had wonderful thank you gifts for the anniversary including a very limited edition of the coin shown below and a trackable jacket.

I have no idea if I will hit the eleven year anniversary let alone the next big milestone at fifteen years. For most years, I review 365 days a year with an occasional day where there are no caches submitted. A quick day may be fifteen minutes. A day with a long trail or many caches with issues can consume six or more hours on a day of the weekend. I have become very conscious of the passing of years and this year regained my desire to garden and plant. I am happy to have been able to give back to the game we enjoy so much.

No comments: