"When you go to hide a cache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot.
If the only reason is for the cache, then find a better spot."
.... Briansnat

Pages

Friday, January 12, 2018

Updating the (Not So Scientific) Plastic Ammo Can Experiment

It has been a while since I posted my test to see if plastic ammo cans from Harbor Freight were water tight. They weren't. I read an on-line review suggesting the cans could be made water tight with a bead of silicone. I beaded the cans, but didn't have time to test them in the weather.

Over the holidays, I had some time away from the office and a chance to plant the two altered ammo cans outdoors. Unfortunately, the snowier weather created a nice snow pile to bury these.

The cans saw a wide range of exposure from nearly 60 degrees to 5 below zero. Besides the snow, they sat in multiple days of rain. It was time to open them and see how well they performed.

They were both completely dry!

My silicone work does not look good, but it was effective. We will look for places to hide these soon.

No comments: